By allowing ads to appear on this site, you support the local businesses who, in turn, support great journalism.
‘The Lock’ returns for football offseason
Football

Unique, offseason football training is returning to Turlock this year.

“The Lock,” a non-contact 7-on-7 and 5-on-5 football program organized by coaches from the Turlock High School football team is back for its second year, and are holding tryouts on Sunday, Dec. 22.

Founder and coach Darron Silva explained that the program is open to any high school or youth athletes, regardless of what school they attend.

“It's open to anybody, any kid that wants to get some work in the offseason,” he said. “The 7-on-7 is more pass-driven to hone the skills of receivers, running backs, slot guys, defensive backs, and then we have 5-on-5 for the lineman… It’s all to build speed and agility and IQ, and all non-contact so that we keep these kids healthy.”

The program aims to field around 100-150 athletes across their five age groups, which would be similar to what they had in last year’s inaugural season. There will be teams for 8U, 10U, 12U and high school-aged players. 

Youth tryouts (8U, 10U, 12U, 14U) will be from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. Sunday. Tryouts for the high schoolers will then take place from 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. For each session, which are all free and take place at Joe Debely Stadium, participants must sign a waiver. For those who make their respective teams, there is a $500 fee that would cover travel expenses, food expenses, home and aways jerseys, gloves, and travel gear like shirts, sweaters, sweatpants and a backpack.

Last year, The Lock competed at tournaments through the Bay Area and the Sacramento region, as well as in Las Vegas.

“We're going to be doing the same thing, continue to keep evolving these athletes, keep them working on their craft and building their network,” Silva said. 

For more information, contact Silva at (209) 216-8966 or follow the program on Instagram at @TheLock7v7.


Track and field ‘blossoms’ at junior high level with help of new meet
junior high track
The Almond Blossom Invitational, held Saturday at Pitman High, saw hundreds of athletes compete in track and field events (Photo courtesy of TJHS).
Roughly 1,500 track and field athletes representing 12 junior high and middle schools or competing independently came together at Pitman High School on Saturday for the second installment of what is becoming a premier event in the region, the Almond Blossom Invitational, sponsored by Grizzly Nut Co.
Would you like to keep reading?
You have 1 free view remaining. Use your last view to read more.